NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Molly Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 17:29:38 -0500
No-Milk list,

    I have two questions, my husband and I are going on a cruise in 2
months. The cruise lines says please call ahead and let us know if there are
any allergies present, so they can make accommodations. My question is, it
seems like their alternative is lactose-free and soy products (both of which
don't work for me), how do I find out what I can eat. I will be very clear
to them that lactose-free things don't work, and soy, is pretty much out as
well, but when I get on the cruise how will I know what to eat, and how will
they accommodate me? Has anyone else gone on a cruise and had success?
    I am not severely allergic to dairy, in the sense that my symptoms not
life threatening but digestive. But even the smallest amount seems to cause
many severe digestive and other associated problems.

    My second question is, what does everyone use in substitution for dairy
products? Milk, is pretty simple there are a number of alternatives out
there. But what about sour cream and cream cheese? The more time that has
gone on, the more my soy allergy is apparent, symptoms very similar to the
dairy. I've used the soy alternatives to these products but am looking for
something else. Have you just given up sour cream on baked potatoes? Or on
tacos? Is there something else that you use that works?
Also what about butter substitutes that doesn't contain dairy or soy? I've
thought of putting olive oil in the refrig and letting it harden and using
that on toast! :-) Has anyone found alternatives that work?

Thank you for any thoughts~  Molly