NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 16:18:03 -0500
>I am fairly certain that Cool-Whip is pareve, and it contains casein
(lots). I also remeber that Coffee-Mate and similar non-dairy creamers
contain casein and are considered pareve. A friend of mine who is quite
religious used to make pareve ice cream (before there was Tofutti or Rice
Dream) using frozen Cool Whip.<

As Robyn said, you are wrong on this. In every possible way.

These statements have cropped up on this list over and over, so please,
people, please simply go to the supermarket and look at the packaging
before posting. Cool Whip has varieties which contain milk and others which
contain only sodium caseinate, which is clearly labeled a milk derivative
and footnoted as "not a source of lactose", important information for those
of us with only lactose intolerance. The lids are clearly labeled KD, or
Kosher Dairy. They do not claim to be pareve.

Coffee-mate is _not_ considered to be pareve, because it contains sodium
caseinate. On the other hand, the Rich coffee creamer products, both Coffee
Rich, the frozen one, and Farm Rich, the refrigerated one, _are_ both
labeled as pareve, contrary to the claim of their containing sodium
caseinate, which someone else one said.

Time for a quick commercial for myself.

I am the author of Milk Is Not for Every Body: Living with Lactose
Intolerance. To keep the information in that book up to date, I created a
web site, Steve Carper's Lactose Intolerance Clearinghouse. I have been
laboring all summer on a major redo of the site, and it is finally
finished. The biggest change is my Product Clearinghouse, which now lists
literally hundreds of nondairy substitutes and alternatives. Although my
site is aimed at those with LI, I try to include information about whether
each product includes casein so that those of you with milk allergies have
some guidance. Each page gives mail, web and e-mail addresses for just
about every product. This is by far the largest listing I am aware of.  I
also have lots of product news and web site info about places you can buy
these products on line. I have the product listing posted in both frames
and non-frames versions.

There are dozens of other new pages as well: a page on food additives, a
huge listing of lactose percentages in various dairy foods, and even a
section purely for fun (including a Why Not Have FUN WITH MILK? page that I
had a ball creating). I also answer people's questions (about LI only, not
milk allergies) and have an archive page that gives out lots of useful
information that people have wanted to know.

I think all the bugs are out so please come visit. I'm always looking for
more info on new products, web addresses for firms, and the latest news.
And please give me feedback on what you think.

The address is: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper

Thanks. Hope you have a good time there.

Steve Carper

P.S. Sorry about the way this post will look. It's an artifact of the
CompuServe mail system that I can't do anything about.