NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Roberta Schultze <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 19:17:05 -0700
Don Wiss wrote:

> At 11:21 AM 4/29/97 -0230, "R.L. Bynum" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >   We, too, were very hopeful when we first went to have allergy testing
> >done, but it in the end it raised more questions than it answered. We felt
> >sure Alex was allergic to milk when he first went for skin tests, but when
> >the test  was negative, we were told that he wasn't allergic and we should
> >give him milk.
>
> >    Regarding some of the posts about delayed reactions, Alex's reaction to
> >milk is delayed about 12 hours. Our current allergist says he is probably
> >reacting not to whole milk, but to some fragment of milk protein that
> >appears during digestion. This is why he doesn't show a reaction to milk on
> >a standard allergy test.
>
> The reason he doesn't show a reaction to standard allergy tests is because
> they only test for IgE antibodies. There are some five Immunoglobins. IgE
> is produced by the immune system and produces immediate reactions. Also
> called histamine reactions. Digestive reactions come from IgG and IgA
> antibodies that are produced in the digestive system. Only blood tests can
> find these. Even then antibodies are only created by the body when it sees
> the offending food. So in an infant RAST/ELISA can't test for foods never
> eaten.
>
> Don.

Could be your child is not allegic to milk, but actually lactose
intolerant? I have had this condition since birth and am in my forties.
Initially the doctors told my folks that I would "outgrow" my reaction
to milk.  In the early 50's there really wasn't much knowledge about
lactose intolerance, they put me on a formula based on goat's milk,
which I guess worked out ok. . .but I NEVER drank milk and dislike its
taste to this day, for obvious reasons.

Lactose intolerance is often confused with "milk allergy" but it is not
an allergy.  My body produces very little of the enzyme, lactase which
breaks down lactose (the sugar in cow's milk).  When I ingest lactose my
body reacts violently:  I'll simply say that I have SEVERE gastrointes-
tinal reactions.  (Gas builds up in the intestine creating bloating,
stomach aches etc.) I remember as a kindergartener I got "stomach aches"
every afternoon at the same time.  They were from drinking the milk that
was forced upon me in class, but I'm sure that the teacher and the
school nurse thought that there was some deep psychological problem
involved.
        The good news is that lactose intolerance is easy to remedy.  Read food
and medicine labels carefully (medicines often use lactose as a binder),
if you see lactose as an ingrediant avoid it.  If you can't avoid it,
check with your doctor to see if you can use the lactase enzyme with the
food/medicine.  A common brand name of lactase is lactaid, but it is
increasingly available in generic form, which I use. (A pharmacist is a
good resource in finding a lactase enzyme at the drug store.)

 Be sure to check with your son's pediatrician regarding his condition,
if it is "intolerance" rather than a true "allergy" ask about using
lactase when he is older.  I know from experiences with real allergies,
that it is best not to expose children to potential allergens for at
least the first year of life.

Lots of luck.  I survived, but with many stomach aches...etc.