NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:26:39 -0500
>Hi all,
>
>I was talking to the local baker -- hoping he could provide me with
>sandwhich bread that contained no milk -- today.  He read off the
>ingredients in one type of bread -- don't remember the type -- and
>all sounded fine except Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate.  Mostly, the
>lactylate sounded suspiciously like Lactose.  When I got home from
>work, I checked the list of label listings for milk provided by my
>allergist.  I then checked the list I pulled off of the archive.
>Neither specifically say that lactylate is from milk but I want to be
>sure.  Hopefully, someone here can help.

I'm not sure on this one. I have a book at home called "The Brand-Name
Guide to Food Allergies" (on something like it). I'll have to look. THe
book is a great reference, especially the sections in the back that deal
with additives. There's a specialy appendix that describes each such
additive and tells what allergenic foods these additives can be derived
from. That's the section that we use most. Some of the additives with
"lact" in their name are derived from milk, but some are derived from other
foods, such as corn.

By way of warning, though, a book like this is not an up-to-date or
definitive reference. I look up various brand-name foods, such as Twizzlers
or Jiffy Cake Mix. If the book says it might contain milk, I stay away from
that food. If it doesn't say, then I know I either have to contact the
manufacturer or take a risk (never away from my EpiPen, though!).

Mark

Mark Feblowitz
GTE Laboratories Incorporated
40 Sylvan Road