NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Becky Leppard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:04:55 -0500
> Hi -
>

> For a birthday cake, which is of specific interest to you right now, you
> can use almost any recipe that starts off without milk, and substitute
> a milk-free margerine or lard (which is GREAT for baking) instead of the
> ubiquitous butter.

Hi Beth,

I have been using some lard in baking and found that my container of lard became
rancid (or off flavor ) after a while.  Is it good to store lard in the
refrigerator after opening?  I don't think it was hydrogenated ( a ;lus for me)
and it developed a slight scum ( slightly hardened surface) as well.  Is this
normal?  It made it a little harder to measure and to mix in the batter.  Any
thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Becky in Orlando