NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 17:47:26 -0800
You scientists are really impressive. I am enjoying this exchange.

But from a clinical point of view (anecdotal), that is, what really
happens to patients, I have seen that some dairy foods are more powerful
than others. The strongest, by far, is chocolate, second place goes to
ice cream, and in third is sour cream, and next is parmesan cheese (very
concentrated protein).

I don't know why in the heck chocolate is so powerful, but it causes (in
my practice) the most severe reactions (and this is repeatable), even
chocolate that contains no casein.

My segue into the current discussion is that butter is, by far the
weakest. Most of my patients who react to dairy foods, which I feel
strongly is an allergic reaction to casein, do not react to butter. But
some very sensitive patients DO react to butter.

So, my observations sort of support Illya, and Robert. Butter has very
little protein, but to some (like the anaphylactoids) that is
signifigant.

Daniel A. Twogood, D.C.