NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 19:41:28 -0500
[log in to unmask] (Rachele Shaw) asked:

>Is there any way to find out about other terms like "hydrolized" which are
>so vague that the general public would never know what it means.  Things
>like "processed food starch," etc., etc, etc.  I would love to know what I
>am really eating.  This is why my family eats "very" little processed food.

The following is an excerpt from the Summer 1993 newsletter of the NOMSG
group. It is copyrighted by the National Organization Mobilized to Stop
Glutamate.

Back to Basics

  Once again we'd like to cover the most commonly used aliases for MSG and
MSG-containing compounds, and also present some of the less familiar terms
that manufacturers have begun using.
  Carrageenan: Can have pure MSG added to it or hydrolyzed milk protein,
and then is labeled simply as "carrageenan". This substance on its own has
no protein, and therefore no MSG. It is used for the slimy or smooth feel
in food items.
  Maltodextrin: Presently being researched. This is a hydrolyzed corn
starch. There is a possibility that it is either contaminated with MSG in
its manufacture process, or that MSG is added to it. We will keep you
posted. If, however, you've been unable to trace a suspicious MSG reaction,
check the product for maltodextrin.
  Hydrolyzed Protein: This applies to any hydrolyzed protein, be it animal
protein, plant protein or milk protein (also called caseinate). Not only
does it have a small amount of MSG created naturally in the chemical
process, but manufacturers may also add pure MSG without designating so on
the label. Used primarily for flavoring, but occasionally to increase the
protein content (especially in meats).
  Autolyzed Yeast: Yeast is put through a chemical process which releases
MSG, similar to hydrolysis. In addition, pure MSG may be added without
designating so on the label. Used for flavoring.
  Yeast Extract: Similar to Autolyzed yeast.
  Natural Flavors (Flavorings): Both autolyzed yeast and hydrolyzed protein
are permitted to be labeled under this category. Not all labels stating
Natural Flavors mean that MSG-containing substances have been used. The
consumer must proceed at his/her own risk.
  Malt Extract: May contain small amounts of MSG. We are researching this.
  Sodium Caseinate: The sodium salt of a hydrolyzed milk protein. Will
contain MSG.
  Calcium Caseinate: The calcium portion of a hydrolyzed protein. Will
contain MSG.
  Virtually all broth, bouillon, and flavors (i.e. turkey flavor) will
contain MSG in some fashion.
  Whey Protein Concentrate: Some do contain MSG in the form of hydrolyzed
milk proteins, others claim to be free from MSG. We advise avoiding all
sources of whey protein concentrate.
  Spices: FDA regulations do not allow pure MSG to be put under this label
designation, while the USDA does (particularly in sausage seasonings).
Occasionlly spice blends are used that contain MSG. Consumer beware.
  Seasonings: See spices above.
  Kombu extract: MSG extracted from kombu seaweed (one of the first methods
of MSG production).
  Ajinomoto: Trade name of the Japanese manufacturer of MSG, you may use
this name in Japanese restaurants.
  Recently, dairy products have become of great concern. Milks such as skim
milk or protein fortified milk may well contain caseinate. Most sour creams
and creams (including half-and-half) contain carrageenan or caseinate.
Margarines and butters are difficult because of the "standard of identity"
rules allowing manufacturers to add ingredients without labeling. Cheeses
recently have been brought to our attention for causing some reactions.  We
recommend using blocks of cheese rather than the shredded variety. If
eating out be sure they use real cheese.
  Meats are also becoming a problem. We have discovered extra-lean ground
beef adulterated with carrageenan. In addition we have had continuing
reports of reactions related to pork and chicken. If you have information
regarding processing of these please let us know.
  Fish is generally safe, but be sure to wash it thoroughly before cooking
to remove sulfites or preservatives. Of course, breaded fish (or fish
sticks) are very likely to contain some form of MSG.
  The following are possible sources of MSG. We advise members to use these
ingredients with extreme caution.
    Barley Malt
    Textured Soy Protein
   [Textured Soy Flour]
    Soy Extract
    Smoke Flavor
    Whipping Agents
    Dough Conditioners
    Whey Protein
  Also, those who are MSG sensitive are advised to avoid aspartame
(NutraSweet). Refer to Jack Samuel's "For Better or For Worse" column
[elsewhere in same issue] for details on how aspartame and glutamate act on
the brain in similar fashions.
  It will be helpful to keep this list with you; not only to share with
other people, but to assist you when eating out or grocery shopping.
  This list is by no means complete. Manufacturers are daily creating new
ways to poison you in the food you are purchasing to nourish yourself and
your family. However, this should help to answer many of your questions
about MSG containing products and ingredients. So please refer to this list
often and repeatedly since we are presently short staffed and unable to
immediately answer everyone's questions.