NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Juliann Seebauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:00:46 -0500
Nancy-
I have 2 allergic kids- and they have different allergies!
After breastfeeding my first (for over a year), and learning over
time his allergies to milk, soy, nuts, legumes, peanuts, barley,
eggs, I cut out all these foods when my daughter was born. I'd have
calcium OJ, meats, wheat, corn, rice, etc. Very few processed foods.
....She didn't have as bad of colic as her brother did, but she'd
throw up. Around 10 or 11 months old, I figured out the connection
between my eating corn syrup or products and her waking up in the
middle of the night.

Try to go to some simple meals for a few days. Be boring, eat the
same simple meal for 3+ days in a row, and see if the crying lessens.
Keep a diet and symptom diary/ calender (when you ate what, when
symptoms occur). It took sometimes 3 hours for foods to get into my
breastmilk, and sometimes 3 more hrs for the food to reach the
child's intestines and cause trouble.

Oh, I say keep eating the same thing for a few days because it takes
up to 10 or 14 days to get rid of some allergens and symptoms from
the body. You may notice a faster decline in a few days, then more
gradual recovery.

Keep pumping. How is Hunter doing with the formula? I couldn't do
formula with both soy and milk allergies, so I don't know if Good
Start is soy or Milk based. My husband gave our son a milk- based
formula sampler once when I went out shopping- and the boy threw up
all over dad. Later, we tried a soy based formula, and the only time
we got an ounce down him, he got a fever of 103 from it.
How are you storing your breastmilk? A constant- temp or deep freezer
is best. Date the bottles- use a laundry marker. My milk stayed  good
only about a week in a regular defrosting freezer, but it was good
for 3 months+ in a deep freeze.

Another comment- you may be able to help other moms with babies with
allergies by donating you milk to a milk bank. They would be very
interested in cow's- milk- free breastmilk. It's been a few years,
but I think I got info on donations thru http://www.pumpingmoms.org/