NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ann K Eves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:03:36 -0400
Jessica - My children both have allergies to milk protein. One is severely
allergic and the other only moderately. They are now 11 and 16 but have been
allergic since they were toddlers. They drank mostly apple juice and white
grape juice (no stains from spills) and used a liquid calcium supplement
made (I think) by Twin Labs.  Once they were old enough to swallow pills, we
changed to them.
     I don't know how much you know about food, so forgive me if this is old
hat to you. Kosher foods have been a life-saver for us. My kids eat Kosher
lunch meat, Kosher hot dogs and even Kosher chicken nuggets. My son is a
very fussy eater so he has been very difficult especially since he is also
severely allergic to peanut butter.
     Are you aware that milk can be used in products that do not have it
listed on the label? Kosher foods have no additives and so are safer than
non-Kosher foods. Other foods can have milk products hidden in things like
"natural flavoring." Lunch meat and sausage can have milk products without
having anything listed. We have learned this the hard way including
emergency trips to the hospital.
     If you have any other questions that I can answer, I would be happy to
respond to them. Good luck! It's not easy but you can do it!

     Ann E.