NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 21:30:50 -0700
Last week I borke down and invested in a small electric ice cream
freezer.  I have a big 5 qt one that makes a huge mess with ice and salt,
but I wanted to be able to make small quantities easily since my daughter
can't have any of the commercially made dairy free desserts that I've
been able to find (corn syrup in all of them).  I'd seen several articles
on granitas and Italian Ice type things lately and decided to give them a
try.  We started out with a watermelon sorbet that was just great.  Later
this week, I'm going to try the green apple granita.  Granitas can be
made without churning, but the process seemed kind of iffy to me.  One
article suggested the use of a churn over the "traditional" freeze it as
a solid mass in a shallow tray and scrape it method.

I'll let you know how the apple goes!
Kathy P.

(The article said they used half of a med sized watermelon, but I use 1/4
of what _I_ considered a med sized melon)

Watermelon Sorbet

8 cups (1-inch) cubed watermelon, seeds and rind removed
1 cup simple sugar syrup (see below)
2 tbsp lemon juice

Puree the watermelon cubes in a food processor.  Measure 4 cups of puree
and place in a bowl.  Add sugar syrup and lemon juice and stir well.
Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
Pack the sorbet into an airtight container and freeze for one hour before
scooping onto serving plate.

Yield:  6 cups.  Per half-cup serving:  149 calories, 35g carb. 2g
protien, 1 g fat, 0 colesterol

Simple Sugar Syrup

Combine 1 cup sugar and 2 cups water in a small suacepan.  Bring to boil.
 Reduce heat.  simmer until the sugar dissolves.  Cool to room
temperature.  Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2
months.

Yeild 2 1/2 cups.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]