NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 13:04:13 -0400
> Do you believe it's
>true that we give birth to allergenic children because we pass this on, not
>only genetically, but by also eating foods during pregnancy that we as mothers
>are currently sensitive to? (most of us don't even know it at the time)  AND
>doesn't this seem to be especially true with dairy products?  Thanks again,

Well, no I don't believe that you pass on the allergy itself as a factor of
what you eat. What you do is sensitize them earlier. The open question is:
would defering their exposure have any positive effect on whether they
become allergic to the food (I don't think so) or to what degree their
symptoms will develop (possibly, but I'm still doubtful).  And it would be
a very difficult thing to determine through studies, until such time that
we know the full genetic markers for such susceptibility(!), and then can
experiment (!?) with the expectant mothers' diets.

Mark
Mark Feblowitz                  GTE Laboratories Incorporated
[log in to unmask]              40 Sylvan Road, Waltham, MA 02154-1120