NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 19:12:27 -0500
Heidi Loncosky <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>Can anyone explain to me exactly what a celiac is?

Someone who is gluten intolerant. Gluten in certain people has four major
effects: (1) antibodies against it are produced by the body and are
circulating. They can create skin, joint and neurological problems. (2) The
intestinal villi are compromised and minerals and vitamins are malabsorbed.
This can lead to all sorts of non-specific deficiencies. (3) There can be a
leaky gut which allows peptides to get through that shouldn't. They can
accumulate in the kidneys and possibly get through the blood brain barrier
if that is compromised for some reason, and (4) addictive opioids can be
formed in the gut causing the person to crave gluten containing foods.

Here are the Top 20 Diagnoses Before a Diagnosis of Celiac Disease:

1.  Anemia
2.  IBS
3.  Psychological stress, nerves, imagination
4.  Diarrhea
5.  IBD
6.  Diabetes
7.  Spastic Colon
8.  Ulcers
9.  Virus (Viral Gastroenteritis)
10. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
11. Weight-loss
12. Allergies
13. Amoeba, Parasites, Infection
14. Gallbladder Disease
15. Thyroid Disease
16. Cancer, Lymphoma, Digestive
17. Colitis
18. Cystic Fibrosis
19. Lactose Intolerance
20. Reflux

Data from an on-going Celiac Disease Foundation study of 600 Biopsy-proven
celiacs. Taken from the Fall 1996 CDF Newsletter.

For more information my web page points to all Net resources:

  The Gluten-Free Page:  http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/

Or download the FAQ from the celiac list. Send GET CELIAC FAQ in the body of
a message to [log in to unmask]

Don.