NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katherinez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 22:02:27 EST

<< Yes, but the last box of poptarts my mom tried to feed my children had
sodium
 stearoyl lactylate listed in the ingredients. According to the list on
 katherinez's website, that is a milk-derived ingredient, so "dairy free"
meant
 nothing. >>

Hi!  I don't see that on my site at all, unless I have an error that I am not
catching.  (such as a description that comes up when a graphic does not...)
Please help me if I have missed it.  What I have is that Sodium Stearoyl
Lactylate may or may not... it often does not have dairy, but could.  I base
that on the info. from "A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives" by Ruth
Winter, M.S...

"Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate - See Lactic Acid..."
"Sodium Stearoyl-2-Lactylate - ... prepared from lactic acid and fatty
acids..."
Then you go to lactic acid...
"Lactic Acid - .... it is produced commercially by fermentation of whey,
cornstarch, potatoes, and molasses.."

So it may or may not have dairy... one would have to call the manufacturer to
find out what the base is of the lactic acid.

Again, please let me know if you see otherwise on my page... As far as I see,
I do not say that SSL is dairy....

Have a great day all!

Katherine