NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:39:59 -0500
Hi -

I have sometimes used the orthodox kosher cookbook "Spice and Spirit" to find
pareve versions of foods we like.  Here's a recipe I haven't tried, but would
expect to be very good:

Italiam Pastry Cream (for filling cakes and cannolies):

4 egg yolks
6 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp flour
1 cup non-dairy creamer (ie Rich's)
1 tsp vanilla or orange extract or small piece of lemon rind

Chill creamer.  In bottom opart of a double boiler, bring water to boil
and let simmer.  Put egg yolks into a bowl.  Add sugar and flour.  Stir
with a wooden spoon, always in the same direction, until everything is fuly
incorporated and eggs are light yellow.  Slowly add nondairy creamer, mixing
steadily.  Pour mixture into top of double boiler.  Add vanilla extract.

Place top of double boiler over bottom and stir constantly until the mixture
is thick and coats the spoon.  Do NOT allow to boil!  Once thickened, remove
from over the hot water and continue stirring for 2-3 minutes.  Transfer
to a bowl and cool.

There are a lot of other pareve desserts in this book.  (Pareve food contains
NO dairy, by Jewish law.)  The ISBN is 0-8266-0238-X.  If you can't find it
but want a copy, call Lubavitch Women's Cookbook Publications at 718-771-FOOD.
(No, I have no affiliation.  I'm reading from the inside front cover.)

--Beth Kevles