NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
DAVID POHLE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:43:58 -0500
Hi Listmates,

I was away on business last week, and returned this
week to find dozens of messages in the daily No-Milk
digests.  You've all been busy!

Before I left I had posted something about mozzarella
supposedly not having lots of lactose, based on my
recollection of info that the Lactaid people had sent me
when I called their 800 number.  Well, basically, I was
wrong.  Here's the run-down on the number of grams of
lactose found in one ounce of various cheeses
according to their info:

American processed cheese spread - 2.48
American processed cheese food - 2.07
American processed pasteurized - 0.45
Brie - 0.13
Camembert - 0.13
Cheddar - 0.36
Colby - 0.73
Feta - 1.16
Gouda - 0.63
Monterey - 0.19
Mozzarella, whole - 0.63
Mozzarella, skim - 0.78
Muenster - 0.32
Parmesan, hard - 0.91
Cream cheese - 0.75

Also, I've enjoyed reading the postings on lactose
etiquette.  This has been a problem for me since
becoming severely LI about 9 months ago.  Although
I've found that everyone is understanding and helpful
(friends and strangers), it's a drag for me to have to
keep explaining to new people why I can't eat things.
And then everybody always asks what will happen if I
have milk, and I have to try to be euphemistic in saying
that I'll get severe chronic diarrhea and obnoxious gas.
I've found that in restaurants it's easier to tell the waiter
or waitress that I'm milk allergic rather than severely
lactose intolerant if I'm not in the mood for giving a
lecture on LI.   Everybody knows what the word
"allergy" means.  On the positive side, though.  I'm
educating lots of "milkies" about lactose intolerance.

Dave