NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:43:35 -0400
Understanding the degree of reactivity to an allergen is the most
important reason to consider a follow-on challenge. The trouble is,
you can't really tell whether a  challenge will trigger worse symptoms.

It's best to challenge in a safe environment - at or near a facility
that can handle a severe reaction in a timely manner.

My oldest is hair-trigger reactive to a few foods and less reactive
to others. For some foods, his doctors won't even consider a
challenge - too risky. For other foods, they might consider a
challenge, but only as an in-patient with an IV already inserted.

Talk to your allergist about the best strategy for you.

As far as the celiac goes, there's healing (a good thing) and there's
the prospect that such healing will alter the body's reactivity to
gluten (not likely, IMO). I'm thinking that celiac is for life
(unless a treatment/cure is discovered), and that your GI tract will
always react to gluten. It may be that, once healed from prior
badness, it might take a bit of time to achieve the prior level
of  damage. But why do that to yourself?

As an anecdotal sample size of 1, my wife had none of the regular GI
symptoms of celiac. She just gradually got life-threateningly anemic.
Now that her body has had much time to "recover," any exposure to
gluten triggers an immediate GI response for her. So I'm thinking
that the healing only applies to the damage, but not to the body's reactivity.

Anybody know of any research to support or counter my intuition on this?

Mark