NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebridan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 09:15:37 EDT
Trish,
My son (10) has always had some dairy and has also always been an emotional
child.  He would eat some form of milk products almost all day long as in the
typical American diet.  But don't get me wrong - he would not go around weepy
all day long.  He does not suffer from depression.  He can seem very "happy go
lucky" so to speak but also act a little impulsively where he looses a little
control over his actions (but I would not say hyper).  As a baby he cried
unbelievably and though developement was normal he was over emotional from
happy to sad.  Problems with school.  He's now in 4th grade and does not cry
in school anymore.  Nursery - third grade would "break down" when he didn't
understand something or something set him off.  But he basically has a nice
personality and has friends.  But the emotional problem is still there and
real.  One embarrassing thing right now for him, and us as parents ( I will
admit it) is when he cries at baseball. His coach is very strict and Kevin
cannot take his criticism, especially if its delivered in a loud voice.
Sometimes nothing at all can be said to kevin and he will cry if he makes a
bad mistake and he knows it.  Though he doesn't cry all the time, sometimes he
can handle the pressure, but you know he's working at controlling his
emotions.  We never get mad at him for this or wetting the bed etc, we are
extremely supportive parents and family.  Dr.'s only suggestion is
psychological help,  then probably some psycho-drugs.  Actually this year in
school he is doing pretty well.  I picked this nice, older, female teacher and
Kevin is doing well.  Sure, it would be so much easier to give a pill and
continue to eat foods the pediatrician recommends - the all American diet -
but I'm not going to do that.  I have milk allergies so I'm going to begin
there.  Why I waited so long I don't know.  It is easier to say there is an
allergy when you see an immediate response as in those with life-threatening
reactions, but I'm beginning to believe there is a whole range of reactions.
I used to think (sometimes still do) that its just his personality, he was
born like that.  But I nursed him while I ate dairy products (was in denial
about myself) so maybe...anyway we will start with no dairy. I don't know if I
really answered your question but I will get symptoms (cramping, maybe
diarrhea) within twenty minutes to an hour or so after eating pure dairy and
if its just a little dairy in some other food product I will still get a
reaction though it could take longer and not be as severe.  They say the dark
circles under my eyes are also dairy related.  Many other of my family members
also have a problem with dairy so I think that is a stong clue.  Take care,
Jane