NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Kovaleski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 12:39:28 EDT
Heidi,

Congratulations on finding an early diagnosis for your son. My son is 2yrs
and 7mos and he is anaphylactic to dairy.  We found out when he was 11months
and I tried to give him his first bottle of formula and ended up in the ER w/
a very close call.  After he was diagnosed and we had our first consult w/
the pediatric allergist we were completely overwhelmed.  My mother's family
were all dairy farmers and the whole thing was ironically surreal.  We have
adjusted fairly well though and due to the severity of his allergy we have
chosen to make our house a dairy free zone.  The older kids are great w/ it
and if anyone gets cravings for cheese they can always go out.

For me, I think the key was and is don't feel alone.  This is a great group
and there's always somebody around to answer an email or lend support.  As
for adjusting, after a while, things just become second nature.  There is
also a support group you can join on yahoo called POFAK (parents of food
allergic kids)  subject matter though, runs the gamut on food allergy issues.

best of luck,
Lisa