NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:32:31 +0000
Now you've got me worried!

I took a look at http://www.tagatose.com/ and found out that the manufacturer
of Tagatose (brand name Naturlose) has patented the process for deriving it
from whey.

I suppose that it's possible that the manufacturing process could remove all
proteins, and I suppose it could be purified to make it not look chemically
like lactose.

Still, with the combination dairy allergies and lactose intolerance in my
family, we're going to tread very carefully here.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Here are some interesting links:

The Diabetes Monitor has a comment on it:
http://www.diabetesmonitor.com/tagatose.htm

And the manufacturer has a press release about Pepsi using it:

http://www.biospherics.com/PressRelease/pr280503.html

And Yahoo Finance has the press release about the Slurpee:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030821/dcth009_1.html