NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:06:05 -0500

>> Earlier I requested information on a dairy free milk chocolate chip.  I
>> forgot to mention that this must also be totally free of cane sugar
>> (refined or unrefined).  That is the problem more than dairy when it
>comes
>> to finding them in stores.  Many times there's no dairy, but there's
>always
>> sugar in there too.

Many "wholefoods" grocery stores carry such chocolates, especially around
holidays. I can't remember all of what's used to sweeten it, but I remember
it having barley malt.

>>Chatfield's makes a great semi-sweet chocolate chip.
>> I'm wondering if there is a way to melt these down and add something to
>> them so that they taste like milk chocolate.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Denise
>
>HI Denise,
>Why don't you try adding Rich's non dairy creamer to the melted chocolate?
>It might come out like a truffle, especially if you whip it after
>refrigerating the mix for a while.  And you could add some honey (if you
>can eat it) or fructose.

Watch out! Rich's non-dairy contains casein. It's a highly processed milk
protein, and while it's though to be processed enough to be "non-dairy",
some milk-allergics are allergic to it.