NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 13:30:00 -0400

> > The D means *either* there are dairy ingredients in it *or* it has been
> > processed on dairy equipment.
> ----------------
> If the product has no dairy ingredients but is processed on
> dairy-contaminated equipment the kosher mark is often followed by the
> letters "DE" not "D".

They are allowed to use this designation, but in practice it seems to be
rarely done.  The only case I've ever seen of the DE being used is dark
chocolate Toblerone.  OU (U in a circle) doesn't use the DE
designation at all, but I believe OK (K in a circle) does.

According to the OU's website at http://www.ou.org/kosher/policy.htm:

    OUD Products are DAIRY. These products either contain dairy
    ingredients, or have been processed on dairy equipment.

> Last week I purchased
> Fleischman's unsalted margarine which was marked kosher pareve. Hope
> this helps.

This is the one we use as well.  I believe they have pareve formulations
in both stick and tub form.

Good luck,
--Robyn