NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katherine Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 22:13:15 EDT
In a message dated 9/23/98 11:35:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< 1) Who in your immediate family has allergic reaction to milk, and how
severe is it? For each family member listed, answer questions 2-7.
David, 5
Michael, almost 3
Swollen face, lips.  Hives, red, blotchy, extremely aggressive, weepy, stomach
hurts, red eyes with dark black circles.  Both.  David worst.

 2) How long was the person breast fed with no supplemental bottles? (If
supplemental bottles were given for the first week, but then the child was
nursed without supplemental bottles for the next year, please indicate that).
David - 9 mos. and stopped due to his reflux problems.
Michael - ummm do I admit to nursing a LONNNNGGGGGGG time?  Let's just say a
REAL long time.  Happily.  Dairy free.

 3) How long did the mother follow a dairy free diet, if at all (include time
while pregnant and while nursing)?

Both, the entire time nursing, completely egg and dairy free.

 4) After weaning, what formula was the child put on?
David, as per doctor who KNEW of the allergy, Pregestimil.  *#*@@^@#*!!!
Michael, NONE.

 5) When were any foods containing dairy first introduced to the child (i.e.
first had cheese at 4 months, etc)

Tried ONCE yogurt with lactaid at about 6 to 7 months.  NO GO.  That was
David.  Not Michael.

 6) When and how did the person's dairy allergy first show up?
 I heard colic for months.  BULL.  Allergies, thank you very much, and reflux.
From the getgo... as soon as we got home, screaming all night.  Michael was
the first day home, and I immed. stopped dairy.

 7) If the person is your child, what would you have done differently while
pregnant, nursing, or during the first two years of life, if anything?

Next child, I would stop dairy in my last trimester.

 8) For family members not afflicted with dairy allergy, how long was the
person breast fed with no supplemental bottles?  N/A

 9) For family members not afflicted with dairy allergy, how long did the
mother follow a dairy free diet, if at all (include time while pregnant and
while nursing).
N/A
 10) If you know of women who followed a dairy free diet while pregnant in the
interest of minimizing the child's sensitivity to dairy, when did she start on
the diet? As soon as she knew she was pregnant? Before getting pregnant? Only
during later trimesters?
 N/A

Katherine Murray