NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:56:16 -0500
Kris Moore wrote:

> I am thinking about trying to find a sit down restaurant where my
> daughter can get a non-dairy meal.  Up to this point I have been very
> reluctant to trust other to prepare her food, but we really needs to find a
> couple of places to eat away from home.  I know about calling ahead, talking
> to chef, manager, etc. but any specific advice on type of restaurant, chain
> vs. local, types of dishes that appeal to kids that are dairy free would be
> appreciated.  My daughter likes American food, mostly fish and chicken, so
> Chinese, etc. isn't an option.

We have found that Applebee's is very good about sharing the ingredient lists with
us -- once the manager went back and tore them off all the boxes of items he
thought were milk-free, and then we read through them, showed him the other milk
ingredients, and found an item my son could eat. French fries are usually safe, as
long as they don't have special coatings or spice combos on them. At the sandwich
shop, my milk-allergic boys get bagels and peanutbutter. Just ask to see the
ingredient listings, and don't specify "milk-free", as they'll think you're
talking about *milk*, and assume butter, margarine, whey, etc. are just fine.

Good luck!
Lis