NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deborah Garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 11:56:15 -0600
<<I have a question:  is the RAST test truer than a skin test? We have
another allergy checkup coming up... this time I have to take BOTH of my

boys as the older one has developed asthma.>>>

I recently took my daughter for a second visit to an allergist.  Her
first visit was at 13 months.  She reacted then, almost instantly, to
the skin prick test for whey and milk.  We have not been back to the
allergist until last week.  She has had only a few minor reactions.  She
is now three.  The visit to the allergist was a waste of time.  He said
he did not see any reason to perform any tests RAST or skin tests.  He
said the RAST was not reliable and we would gain nothing with the
results.  We know she is still allergic to milk.  My mother works in a
laboratory and did a RAST test on my daughter two years ago.  She tested
as level III then.  The allergist does not know we did that test.

He basically said, "Keep doing what you're doing and call me if there is
a problem."  I was somewhat disappointed by his lack of answers and
information.  He warned me of possible problems, all of which I was
already aware of, and did not really want to answer specific questions
about products that might be milk derivatives.

I went with the desire to learn more detail about my daughter's allergy
and left with nothing but a new dosage for Benadryl.  I feel comfortable
and capable in managing my daughter's diet due to this list, Food
Allergy Network, and the intense research I have done elsewhere.

Though he laughed, I left the doctor with the FDA 2% petition.  Just
wondering if this is the kind of visit others have with their allergist
or was he just having a bad day??!!

Debbie