NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alex Oren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 09:13:15 -0400
RevCOAL wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that this has been discussed on this list before,

In that case, searching the archives will usually provide you with a faster
answer.  Try http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=no-milk

Other good sources are the Google search engine at http://google.com and
Google's usenet search engine at http://groups.google.com/.

> but could
> someone refresh my memory regarding sodium caseinate and calcium caseinate,
> are they milk protein or not?

The first page that Google finds for "calcium caseinate" says that it is "A high
quality milk protein product, manufactured from fresh pasteurised skimmed milk
through acid precipitation of the casein followed by neutralisation and drying."

There you have it.

> Because they sound and look like 'casein' its confusing...

Actually, anything that sounds like 'casein' is derived from it.  The confusing
ingredients are those that sound like 'lact' (e.g., lactylates are non-dairy and
lactic acid usually isn't).

Best wishes,
Alex.