NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 11:19:37 -0500
>Speaking of "natural flavors" and such, does anyone know if Dr. Pepper
>soda contains dairy?  The only questionable ingredients I remember seeing
>are caramel color and natural flavors.
>
>The reason I ask is that I started drinking it a few days ago when we ran
>out of Coke at work, and now I have 2 unexplained canker sores.  I
>normally get canker sores when I accidentally consume anything with cow's
>milk based products.  The Dr. Pepper was the only thing I've changed
>recently that I at all suspect could be the cause.
>
>I normally drink lots of Coke...so I don't believe their caramel color is
>lactose based...else I'd always have sores.

I have terrible trouble with Dr. Pepper. I have ever since a change in it's
recipe sometimes in the late 70's. Before that, it was my favorite soda. I
am assuming that something in it is milk-derived. I don't have a can with
me, but I recall an ingredient with "lact" in it. If not, it may be
milk-derived caramel coloring.

There are two brands of "Dr. Pepper-alikes" that I can tolerate just fine:
Dr. Joe's (from Trader Joes) and Dr. Becker (I forget the manufacturer, but
it's available in health-food and whole-food stores).

Mark Feblowitz