NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rob and Lada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:26:31 -0800
<< Susan Gallant writes>>
<<a lot of people in the medical field don't realize how much politics fall into play behind what curriculum is taught in medical schools. I see this connected to dairy allergies because I don't find the medical field to be adequatrely educated about those things. Once in a while I run across a doctor who has done his own research that really knows his stuff, but most of the time I find them to be very arrogant and closed minded.>>

Here's my personal experience regarding doctors and milk allergies:
After my son was born about 10 years ago, he was in the neo-natal intensive care unit (becasue he needed some surgery).  After surgery he could not keep down any milk formulas, and the doctors were stumped, they tried many different formulations to no avail.  Then during the next day of rounds (group of 10 or so doctors / residents), one of the residents suggested they try soy formula.  This suggestion was met with skepticism from some of the doctors.  However; they tried and it worked - he kept the soy formula down and eventually came home.

When I draw conclusions - I don't see politics or any conspiracy theory about corporations and medical teaching.  I see a lack of experience with babies needing soy - this was likely a reality of 10 years ago, there were not too many cases of this that they would have seen.  A doctor learns much in school, but much more is learned by the actual practice during internship and residency - this is by plan.  Just like with any disease, the more you see of it's symptoms the more you can apply to other similar patients.  I do not conclude that medical school failed to teach them things because they are influenced somehow by corporations or politics.

Did the resident learn about soy in medical school from a book?  Probably not, maybe he learned during other rounds at other hopsitals.  The important part is medical training worked - he saw something work in a patient, committed it to memory, tried it again later when another patient showed similar symptoms.  Were some doctor's close-minded?  Yes, but they were willing to allow something new to be tried.  Did it open their minds?  I can only hope so.

I have learned a great many things from postings to this list that helped my son.   These come from the specific examples given of what worked or did not for others, rather than broad generalizations.

Regards,

Rob Dudewicz