NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:32:42 -0700
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:53:39 -0400 Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> There are different variants of casein:  alpha, beta and kappa.
> These variants occur in different ratios in the milk of different
mammals.

I'm assuming that this is much like the common vs. specific proteins
which cause allergies in the plant families.  In other words, just
because you react to peanuts which are legumes, it doesn't mean you will
react to all legumes (say soy or garbanzo beans or lentils).  It will
depend on which protein or fragment that you are sensitive to.  These
often cross-react, but not always.  The same will go for milks.  This is
why some people can tolerate goat's milk and not cow's - they are
reacting to specific proteins that are not present in the other variety.

> Some infants, as I've recently learned (thank-you), do poorly even on
> breastmilk.  I assume that this means EITHER that their tolerance
> for ANY kind of casein is basically nil, or it may mean they have a
> seocndary allergy (perhaps to egg, which also can migrate to
breastmilk),

This is VERY true.  My kids reacted to all the allergens through
breastmilk - not just dairy.  It was also interesting that some came
through more readily than others.  IOW, when they ate the offending
substance directly, it caused much more dramatic or even slightly
different reactions.

My understanding is that it is very rare for an infant to actually be
allergic to the breastmilk.  It is usually something in the mother's diet
that is coming through due probably to a leaky gut in the mother allowing
those whole proteins to get into her blood stream and breastmilk.
Unfortunately, too many peds are too quick to recommend weaning bc THEY
feel that tracking down the offender and eliminating it completely is too
much of a hassle.  I can tell you that my kids would not have survived
had I done that.  They are both allergic to dairy and corn, and one is
also allergic to soy.  That eliminates ALL formulas including the
elemental ones like Neocate or Vivonex.

Kathy

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.