NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cherie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 00:16:41 -0800
Re Exchange:
> 1) With maple syrup, the drink will be about 75-85 mg of calcium
>  (cow's milk has around 300mg).
> 2) Human milk has 28 mg for 100ml (about 3.5 oz.).
> 3) 2 Tbsp. of Blackstrap molasses contains 344 mg of Calcium.
Also keep in mind how poorly calcium is absorbed in the
> presence of protein...

Robert- I was not saying you have to have 300 mg in a glass or even the
RDA-I am well ware of PCRM (I helped them write a junior high nutrition
curriculum). I totally agree that a high protein (specifically animal
protein) has been associated with a negative calcium balance and we should
be looking at decreasing our protein more than increasing calcium. I was
just offering nutritional info. so everyone would know concentrated sources
of calcium if they wish to choose them...some other yummy options for the
drink are using almond butter in place of the almonds and/or using the Rice
Dream in place of water. (This is basically a smoothie!) I'm with you in
your quest to inform people of the ills of dairy!-Cherie