NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"R. Pellerin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:57:56 -0400
As for the apples: every one is using "I think that..." "I heard that...".
Does anyone know for sure?  Like I said, I wash the fruit but don't scrub
and my Ontario apples have yet to affect my son.  You can get calcium
without getting it from milk (e.g. Tums; calcium supplements) so if the
apples are coated in calcium, it should be listed on the ingredients (I am
certain it is on the baggie of sliced apples you can get from a McD's Happy
Meal) and you can see for sure what it is. As for McD's fries...My son
breaks out in hives when he ingests milk but when we were living in the
United States, McD's fries were a frequent treat for my son and he never had
an incident.  The bread and burger (just the plain hamburger) appear to be
fine as well.  If you want to be safe, get an exact ingredient listing.

To Jennifer Webb: Check out the websites of fast food places to see if
ingredients are listed (here in Canada, Swiss Chalet lists all possible
allergens by menu item on their website).  If you can't find details, you
can always email the head office for details.  Call ahead and see if they
will read out the ingredients over the phone (I did that prior to heading
out to a hockey game and they were more than happy to read me the
ingredients).  Or if at the restaurant, ask to see the labels (I have done
that at open air public bbq's and again, they were happy to accommodate
me).

Or, simply eat out less.  I have been out to restaurants where I was told
the food should be safe (steamed only, only a tomato sauce) and have my son
break out big time.  People who do not live with the allergy, through no
malice, sometimes have no clue.  You tell them no dairy but still think
butter is okay or start asking you about eggs.  We rarely eat out anymore as
it is just too much work to find a safe meal.  Children's menus at family
restaurants are the worst: grilled cheese, chicken fingers, cheese burgers,
ice cream desserts, etc. and once we had to resort to an adult meal for my
son at the adult price (and something still went wrong and we still don't
know what it was).   It's either Swiss Chalet (good fries and roasted
chicken) or authentic Chinese (faciliated by my Chinese in-laws) for us.
And my wallet thanks me.