NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alex Oren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:58:22 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>

> I spoke with someone at Spherix (new name for Biospherix) yesterday.  She
> said that they're requesting a kosher PAREVE designation from the (unnamed)
> hechshering organization that they plan to use.

Different organizations have different standards.  I wouldn't trust an "unnamed" one.

>  She also promised to send
> me information on their studies to do with safety.  (She was impressed when
> I explained that some allergic people react to the milk in Recaldent, which
> is in some Trident chewing gums!)

Is the ingredient mentioned only as "Recaldent" or

> I also sent a message off to the Orthodox Union requesting hechsher status
> for tagatose.

OU are good.  From http://www.ou.org/kosher/dairy.htm:
"It is important to note that dairy ingredients or dairy residual material often are present in products at very low levels. According to halachah, a dairy component which is less than one part in sixty may be botel nullified. Nonetheless, as a matter of policy, the OU will not imply a product is pareve by printing an OU without a "D" on the label, even though the dairy component is at trace level."

Unfortunately, I do not think that getting a hechsher from OU is as simple as mailing them.  A hechsher requires supervision, which implies money (supervisors have families to feed too).  However, urging Spherix to choose a *stringent* hechsher like OU may work.

> I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks!