NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 11:37:25 -0700
On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:52:12 -0500 Theresa Ray <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>I'm also very concerned when I see that parents have their toddlers on
>Rice milk or soy milk instead of soy formula

Some children are allergic to soy and have little choice but to have rice
milks.  For us, my daughter is allso allergic to corn and I cannot find a
soy formula that has no corn that she might be willing to drink.  The one
soy milk she liked had corn in it that made her nuts.  I make that point
because if she won't drink it, it doesn't matter how much fat is in it!
There are soy milks out there that have a significant amount of fat in
them.  Vitasoy and Trader Joe's Soy-Um come to mind.  Just don't use the
low fat or non-fat versions.  There is also one called VigorAid that is
more of a nutritional supplement and is just loaded with fat and
calories.  I have a spreadsheet comparing the nutritional values that I
could send you if you have Excel and could read it.

>Does anyone else have any 'healthy high-fat' (don't laugh) ideas?

I try not to pump my daughter full of junk foods too, but a certain
amount is OK.  Everything in moderation.  She eats a lot of meats so that
she gets the protein which is also very important for growing bodies.  I
feed her a good variety of veggies and beans and pasta.  I add margarine
to things like waffles and extra olive oil to pasta or hummus dip.  I do
give her Kosher hot dogs and bologna, but not everyday!  She gts french
fries maybe every 2 weeks or so eating at McD's.

It's funny because I watch the other kids her age (15 months) eating
yoghurt and string cheese and PB&J sandwichs and just kringe.  I worry a
lot about her getting enough nutrients, but she seems to eat what she
needs at the time.  She's perfectly on target with her growth and
development.  I figure that as long as she seems to be doing well, I
probably shouldn't sweat it because that won't do either of us any good.
I do consciously add fats to her diet and let her have all the meats she
wants.  She doesn't get any nuts, eggs, or fish at this point.

Most of my sister's kids were given SKIM milk from about the age of
6months on.  They wouldn't dream of doing that now, but they survived and
did just fine.  Somehow they got all the fat they needed from somewhere
else in their diets.  Probably all the PB she fed them!

Kathy P.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]