NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tammy Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 08:28:32 -0400
> Also, what do you tell and 3 year old when they have a pizza party at school
> and no one warned you and you have nothing to substitue?  Since it's not and
> annyphaltic reaction she can eat the pizza.  But we have to pay with the
> nightmares and behavior problems till it wears off...

My daughter is anaphylactic to milk so the daycare center won't give her
anything if I haven't said it is OK.  I do spend a lot of time talking to
them so they get the point that if there is a birthday party,
cooking activity, or some other special treat, they should let me know
by writing a note, picking up the phone and calling me at work or something.
It has taken awhile for me to get across the idea that instead of saving
certain activities for when Jessica is out, we can work together to make
substitutions.

Her infant care teacher understood and I usually saw her
at the end of the day.  Now I'm trying to get the preschool teachers
to understand. A few weeks ago her class did an art activity with pasta.
Jessica got colored paper and glitter instead even though she probably
could have done the pasta.  Of course, she is at an age where she probably
preferred being special and getting to use the glitter.  I'm so happy that
they made a substitution instead of doing something with her that they
thought may be dangerous.  However, by talking to them more without
complaining about the pasta art, they are finally getting it.  I got a note last
Monday that they were going to do a cooking activity on Friday.  I was then
able to talk to the teacher about getting ingrediants and having someone
check them.

You really need to tell people more than once, and tell more than one
person if possible.  If they hear it enough, every time they plan an activity
they will think, can this child do it or do I need to check with mom and
consider alternatives first.

Good Luck.

--Tammy