NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 14:11:03 -0500
>Mark Feblowitz wrote:
> no problems for us, and we love it (as long as it's milk-free,
>> soy-free for me and nut-free for Josh).
>>
>Dear Mark,
>Could you please tell which brand(s) of chocolate are both dairy and soy
>free?  This would be a terrific starting point--then I can go on to
>discover which might be gluten free as well.  :~)

There are many dark chocolates that are dairy-free. Most of the dark
chocolates that I've seen (about 90%?) contain no dairy products. Of those,
about two-thirds are marked "kosher dairy". This means that the production
of milk-chocolate and non-milk chocolates has not been kept separate in
accordance to the laws of kashruth. What this typically means is that the
milk-free chocolates were produced using the same equipment that was used
when producing milk chocolate. This is important for both those keeping
kosher (separating the consumption of milk from the consumption of meat)
and for those who must avoid all contact with milk, including minute
quantities that might be contaminating the equipment.

Both my son and I can eat several of the dark chocolates that are
essentially non-dairy but are labeled kosher dairy. Apprently (so far) the
contamination has not been enough to trigger a reaction for either of us.

I believe that Guitard chocolate chips are labeled "Kosher pareve", meaning
they contain no milk products. There are others, but I don't remember what
they are.

I don't remember the brands of the ones sweetened with barley malt. They
are available at most "whole-foods" groceries, especially around holidays
(like right now), in the form of both Christmas treats, Chanukah gelt, etc.