NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dawn Hyatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:31:16 -0600
>There's always the possibility that if you cut the offending (however
>slightly offending) foods out of their diets completely for a year or so,
the allergy would
>disappear.  It has been known to happen.  And, if you keep feeding the
offending foods, the >allergy could intensify.
        Yep, this is true and it can happen--I personally know people who are 100%
symptom free as adults of things that bothered them as children. But there
is also the possibility that after cutting the offending food out of the
diet and having it seemingly "disappear" it can "reappear" worse than
before. I know this one first hand. I had mild allergies as a child, they
"disappered" for a while in my early 20's and I *thought* everything was
great. Now I'm anaphylatic to tons of stuff I was allergic to as a child
and really reactive to a lot of other things which I ate daily (prior to
discovering through an elimination diet/challenge that I can't handle
them). Bottom line is that this is a fine line that is very difficult to draw.