NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marla Shapiro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 20:30:56 -0500
pls forgive me for asking stupid obvious questions, valerie, but have you not gotten much advice on this from a gastroenterologist &/or allergist? how about a dietician? not sure what part of the country you're in, but i have some friends (one in central CT, couple others here in atlanta) that have gotten some excellent nutritional advice (that encompassed issues like intolerances, allergies, bacterial things, etc) from D.O.'s....
(as for the soy & dairy intolerances, can't say much about that except that i know some folks -- my CT friend 1st/foremost -- w/ problems w/ both....)

Marla Shapiro, Ph.D.
MSC 5A0622
Regents Center for Learning Disorders
Georgia State University
33 Gilmer Street SE, Unit 5
Atlanta, GA 30303-3085

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/02/03 12:10PM >>>
My adopted daughter, Nichole, has been totally dairy intolerant since
infancy  (before I got her at 13 months).  Consequently, she was placed on
Isomil, and over the years developed chronic constipation, eventually
developing megacolon and passing enormous stools (tennis ball size and
larger at under 3 years of age) .  Courses of laxatives given routinely
helped until she aged out of WIC and we were forced to switch to a
commercial formula, eventually winding up on Fibersource several years
ago.  Within six month we began noticing more regular stools, and we were
excited when we were able to discontinue using laxatives awhile later.

Well, unfortunately, this was the beginning of a decline that has
eventually led us to daily explosive diarrhea.  We are going to check for
C-dif and parasites again, but I suspect she may have developed a soy
intolerance.  How unusual would this be and what can be given via g-tube if
she is indeed soy and dairy intolerant?

TIA!
Valerie Maples