NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2005 23:42:38 -0500
Hi --

My family's experience has been that *most* truly dairy-free substitutes
just aren't worth it.  And over time, you forget what the true dairy taste
is like, anyway.

Most (not quite all) "soy" cheeses contain casein (milk protein).  The casein
is what gives them the cheesy texture and ability to melt properly.  We do
like the dairy-free frozen treats, with Tofutti Cuties being near the top of
the list.  (Sorbet with chocolate sauce is at the VERY top.)  My entire
family just hates the soy yogurts.

The interesting things are the substitution that the milk-allergic people
in my family have come up with on their own.  They like their cereal, for
example, with juice in it.  We've come up with some pasta fillings that are
quite tasty and cheese-free (but haven't found a place to purchase them).

The big challenge for our family was getting a proper amount of calcium, since
the Western diet depends upon dairy for calcium intake.  But since there are
now so many calcium-enriched products,such as Musselman's juice or OJ, they
now either drink their calcium are chew down a Cali-Bear from the health food
store.  (Sorry -- CalCi-Bear.)

My kids try to live on brown-sugar Kellog's brand Pop-Tarts and the dairy-free
Fig Newmans.  Oreos are milk-free, too.

My web site lists LOTS of practical tips.  Hospital food, for example, can be
a real adventure (!) for people with any kind of allergy.

Hoping this helps,
--Beth Kevles
  Disclaimer:  Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
  advice.  Please consult with your own medical practicioner.

NOTE:  No email is read at my MIT address.  Use the AOL one if you would
like me to reply.