NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Molly R Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 23:11:25 -0600
Similar question and thoughts as the newbie Jims'.

    I've never heard of anything that can help a protein allergy, but am
definitely going to try Pancreatin acid  just to see. Some 'natural' pills
that help with digestion seem to help some.
    Has anyone heard if this is allergy story. I tolerated all dairy
products until about 12 during puberty. Suddenly I was in the bathroom a
lot, and in pain. Someone just mention to cut out dairy and see what happens
and sure enough that worked. (Not after 2 visits to different doctors
telling my mother that my only problem was not enough fiber.) Like many at
first I couldn't handle milk or a lot of cheese, then I found I couldn't eat
any dairy at all. I tried 'lactate' pills but to no avail. I just assumed
they didn't actually work. I had never heard of a dairy allergy that
produced symptoms of diarrhea, bloating, and pretty sever pain that wasn't
lactose related. As an adult I went to a natural doctor just to try it out
and did a saliva allergy test. Which came back with milk protein, soy and
egg whites, as positives. I don't know how accurate this test is but after
eliminating any dairy (not just the lactose free stuff), I've been a ton
better. Are there others that became allergic to dairy around puberty? Can
you have just abdominal symptoms and still be allergic to just the protein.
I have still not had a doctor that said I should get tested for food
allergies, even though they know I have a problem (I just wonder if I am not
allergic to other foods, and I wonder how accurate the saliva test was).
Also they seem to dismiss my claims and say it is a lactose problem and just
take lactate, when I push and say that doesn't work they don't seemed
concerned. Is this allergy new to most doctors?
    A thought that has been suggested in my case was some 20 odd years ago,
my mother didn't know that giving milk to a infant when they're too young
was a bad idea. Her doctors told her otherwise. Now I know people know
better now, but could that have been a factor? Should we wait to introduce
cows milk into our kids diets until they're a certain age? Can their allergy
develop into something life threatening later in their life?
One last thing-- since dairy is out and soy products seem the most prevalent
replacement, can you develop a allergy to soy from consuming to much of it?

Molly