NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amanda Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 06:22:33 -0800
Kris - Sorry we misunderstood your post.

I for one was only concerned because I was diagnosed
with many separate things before I put them all
together and identified the allergy.  Oddly my little
sister was mis-diagnosed with all the same things I
was, even after my allergy was determined

I was diagnosed with ulcers, IBS, migraines, cluster
headaches, eczema, stress, and emotional disorders
(the list goes on).  I was individually medicated for
each of these symptoms and nothing worked to make me
feel any better.  When I figured out the connection
(at age 25) because the reactions were so close in
time to ingestion of milk, my doc did not believe me.
 Would not even refer me to an allergist.  Actually
rolled his eyes and said "REALLY - then avoid milk."

Like I said, even with the knowledge we have about my
allergy, and the propensity for allergies to run in
families, it took me modifying my sister's (14 yrs
old) diet for my own Mom to even believe that there
was a connection.  The change in my sis was pretty
amazing.  She was happy and had no gut problems the
whole time she was visiting me.  When she got home,
my Mom could see the difference.  Now she knows that
if she eats dairy, she'll pay.  She still has not
caught on that she is eating dairy on borrowed time
and that her reactions are getting worse, but she is
only a kid.

So - long and short of it is - we are all concerned
when docs only treat one symptom, or use meds to mask
a problem.  If this is truely what your daughter has
and all her symptoms go away, more power to you and
congrats, you are lucky to have good docs.  We just
don't want to see anyone end up on the same painful
road we have been on, and want to keep others from
suffering needlessly.

Good luck, and always keep an open mind - sometimes
we just have a bad day and don't think before we type.

Manda
28 yr old, milk allergic mommy (whose family drinks
5-7 gals of the stuff a week - ick)