NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:40:18 -0800
Here is another recipe I have that I thought someone might enjoy.  This
is a great hearty meal with a green salad and some garlic bread.  It can
be made vegetarian by eliminating the sausage and still provides lots of
protein, fiber and vitamins.  Make sure you add the bread/grains to make
a complete protein.  This also freezes well, but we hardly have leftovers
beyond lunch the next day.  I usually double this when I make it, but
still only use 1 can of tomatoes.  Definitely better than the packaged
seasoning which is all salt and sweetener.

Zesty 15 Bean Soup

1/2 lb. dried 15 bean mixture
3 cups ham, chicken, vegetable stock, or water (or use a combination)
1/2 lb. Italian sausage or bacon
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1-3 tbsp. chili powder, depending on taste
1 15 oz. can stewed tomatoes
 (note:  for less sweet soup, use plain diced tomatoes)
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
dash liquid smoke (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Rinse and pick over beans.  Beans can be soaked overnight, but it's not
completely necessary.  Combine drained beans with water or stock.  Simmer
for about an hour, or until almost tender.  Meanwhile saute sausage or
bacon in a large skillet until no longer pink.  Drain any exess fat.
Using same pan, saute onion and garlic in film of fat left in pan until
translucent.  When beans are almost tender, add meat, onion mixture,
tomatoes, chili powder, and liquid smoke if using.  Simmer an additional
30 minutes or until beans are tender and soup is fairly thick.  If it
gets too thick, add additional water.  Add vinegar and salt and pepper.
Heat an additional 5 to 10 minutes.  Note:  Do not add the vinegar until
the beans are tender or it will inhibit them becoming tender.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]