NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 00:09:08 -0400
Diane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It could have been a milk allergy also but I had already
>been skin tested so I knew that wasn't my problem.

Skin testing only tests for IgE-mediated "allergies." These reactions are
immediate and related to the immune system releasing histamine, and
anti-histamines alleviate them. Then you have digestive reactions, usually
called food intolerances, which are IgA and IgG antibodies being created.
These have delayed symptoms. Skin testing will not pick these up. You need
to test the serum for antibodies, while you are consuming the food you are
looking for antibodies against.

Lactose intolerance is really misnamed. It should be called lactose
maldigestion, as there aren't antibodies involved, but a digestion problem
due to a lack of the lactase enzyme needed to break down the lactose.

Don.