NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 13:35:40 -0600

Alex wrote:
>Does ghee have heavenly taste? Does it have enormous health benefits? Is it
>good for your soul? Your karma?
>Can you be really sure that "safe" is really safe?
>Otherwise, why would you risk it?

To answer Alex first, I found his response weird.  (I am not meaning to be
critical here--just giving my friendly feeling.) I have been on this list
for years and that was a first for a discussion about clarified
butter.  But to answer--actually, clarified butter (we'll use that term
since the term ghee seems to conjure up something) is butter with all the
milk-solids removed. And actually it does have enormous health benefits.

It's an alternative to hydrogenated oils that clog arteries and promote
free-radical damage. All-natural, salt-free and lactose-free, clarified
butter stays fresh for weeks at room temperature. It is not hydrogenated or
oxidized, and contains no transfatty acids. Plus, it's flavorful and
aromatic so you can use half as much as ordinary oils.

Clarified butter, is made by boiling butter and separating out the milk
solids. What is left is clear pure fat that can be heated to high
temperatures without destroying its natural qualities. It provides
essential fatty acids (fats that cannot be produced by the body and must be
obtained from food). It is the most easily digestible fat, and it contains
Vitamin A and E and acts as an antioxidant.

As to whether it is safe--I was only giving my experience with my child who
from birth was VERY allergic to milk protein--casein (although not
anaphylactic).

As far as how to make it:
Place one pound of butter in a 1-1/2 to 2 qt uncovered pot (stainless steel
or glass) at medium heat to melt and then let it gently simmer (may have to
turn lower so it's not actually boiling) until the temperature reaches
245-250 deg. F (about 45 minutes).  I use a candy thermometer in the pot to
see when it is done.  If you go much over the 250 deg it will burn so you
do have to watch it. Then remove it from the heat and filter it through a
fine weave cloth into a glass vessel (jar).  If you want it to get hard and
stay hard like butter then let it cool a little until you can touch the
glass vessel and then cover it and put it into the refrigerator.  Once it
is hard you can store it at room temperature. If you let it fully cool at
room temperature it will remain liquid, but that's fine.

I would have no idea about the store-bought clarified butter, since it will
differ depending on how it was made. My guess is that white globs could be
milk solids.  My clarified butter is very evenly yellow with no white
globs.  And if we are talking of a person who is anaphylactic to dairy, you
would have to be really careful, and it probably is not worth the risk.
Rachele Shaw