NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeanine Callag <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 23:40:56 -0500
  We took our 11 month old son to be tested for food allergies.  We have a 3
yr old who has very severe allergies to milk, egg, and peanut.  Our oldest
had plenty more food allergies when he was my youngest age.  We have been
limiting the baby's diet to things that are not commonly allergic.  We
decided to have him tested to see if we could expand his diet without trying
it ourselves saving  us from any serious reactions.
  Luckily, the little guy is tested only highly allergic to milk using the
back scratch test.  He was a "4" with a this test "1" being slightly allergic
and "4 with satellite hives" being the worst case.  All other foods like egg
white was 1 and peanut and pecan was negative!  All other foods like tomato,
corn, fish were negative using this test.
  I asked my allergist if I could introduce these foods into his diet now.
 He says we should do the interdermal test ( which is 20 shots in the arms,
ouch for a baby!), since these foods are high allergic foods and some others
only then would I know if it's ok.
  I asked him if I can't  just try these foods on him since there's a neg.
reaction on the skin test.  He said by doing this I could sensitized him to
the food and make him allergic to it.  I just hate torturing this little guy
with these shots, but then again I want to know what's safe for him to eat.
  My older son had this test done and he was neg. on the back scratch test
with banana and corn, but interdermally he was a "3" allergic to it.  A lot
of other things they tested were neg. with this test too.  He did seem
bothered by corn and banana if I gave a lot to him.
  I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with back scratch testing and
having the actual food injected into them with these shots and do you suggest
I have him tested?

Thanks for the help.