NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jenn S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:04:29 -0500
Hi,

My almost 10 year old daughter is newly diagnosed with a milk allergy. Even
the smallest amount of milk will cause her to break out in hives and give
her digestive upset. Her skin will also itch if milk is spilt on her ( found
that out last week at school when the girl next to her in the lunch room
dumped her milk.). She had RAST testing and had an overall IgE value of 6.
Pretty darn low, but between her food diary and symptoms we do believe she
is allergic to milk, as well as peanuts.

We have gotten a very good listing of ingredients to avoid, but are now in
search of some milk free recipes and some good advice. I also have a 7 year
old Celiac in the house. So much fun preparing meals here! ;o)

She is using NutraBlend soy milk at this time, we stocked up on it due to
the fact that the store was discontinuing it and she really liked this
brand. ;o( The store now only carries, Silk, Edensoy, Rice Dream and Natura
brands; any help as to which one to try next? It needs to also be gluten
free for when I make mashed potatoes and other foods that require milk for
the whole family.

Baking/Cooking with soy milk is rather challenging. Can anyone help me with
converting recipes that use milk? We did find a milk free margarine, but soy
milk does not always give the same end results in recipes when directly
substituted for milk. Her birthday is coming up soon and I need some cake
recipes, she loves chocolate.

I look forward to being a part of this list. And I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Katie's Mom; Jennie
Upstate, NY
Yes, we are still buried under several feet of snow!