NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
hagerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:17:56 -0500
Hi, I am a new member on this list.  I had believed myself to be lactose intolerant for 6 years and had avoided all milk products except butter (I had been told it did not contain lactose).  I was recently skin-tested as allergic to milk and am now avoiding all milk products.  I do feel better.

Here is my question.  Why is it the case that with environmental allergies the course of treatment to "cure" is desensitzation through repeated exposure to small doses of the allergic substance while with food allergies the "cure" is to completely avoid the allergic substance.

I've been reading on this list that the thing to do is avoid milk for a year or so and then try a challenge.   This doesn't make sense to me.  I would really appreciate any insight you "allergy pro's " have.

I think this list is a great resource and comfort.  Thanks.

Jane