NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 19:45:29 -0400
Hi -

I just saw several parents wondering what to give their kids to
drink when they wean (from breastmilk or formula).

If your child has trouble with milk protein, then just wean FROM
bresatmilk (or formula) to a healthy diet.  You don't have to
introduce milk products.  Your child does NOT need to drink
milk!

Since in our western culture we are accustomed to getting protein
and calcium (and fat) from milk products, you'll just have to make
sure that those essentials are offered elsewhere in your child's
diet.

So, instead of cereal with milk for breakfast, your child may prefer
hot oatmeal, or dry cereal witha cup of calcium-enriched orange
juice.  Instead of milk with supper, your child may drink water (very
healthy) and have his veggies sauteed in oil (for the fat) instead
of steamed.

Those of you who are expecting another child should look VERy
carefully at breastfeeding with NO solids for at least six months.
Breastfeeding (while the lactating mother consumes no dairy products
herself) is very protective against allergies.

With apologies for the typos; I'm borrowing an ancient computer
while on my summer vacation,
--Beth Kevles
  Disclaimer:  Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
  advice.  Please consult with your own medical practicioner.