NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:20:39 -0500
Ok, several posts lately have inferred that cooking foods that contain dairy
products may actually alter the state of the allergen and possibly decrease
allergic reactions.

Would someone like to clarify this?  Am I reading something that isn't
there?  One post specifically mentioned casein being altered in the cooking
process and another just said that their child through the years has become
able to tolerate some dairy if it is cooked into foods.

My son's specific allergy is alpha-lactalbumin.  Does this theory apply to
whey proteins as well?  It seems that everything we eat is cooked in some
way shape or form, so I don't see how this theory can hold up.  Either
you're allergic, or you're not, Your symptoms may vary, but how would
cooking foods effect the way your body reacts to the allergen?

Thanks, Gail F.