NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. Steiner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 22:28:05 -0800
> M. Steiner wrote:
> >
> >   I have always be wary for some reason about tofu.   I get the same
kind of reaction that I
> > get with milk, which is very strong gastrointestinal problems, with
strong
> > pain, gas and diarrhea, also caused by eating tofu.
>
> I have the same experience with any soy product. I recently saw a gastro
> dr here in Houston who finally shed some light on the problem. Soybeans
> and by products contain an amino acid called tyramine.  Tyramine is an
> excitatory neurotransmitter. People who take MAOI anti-depressants
> should not ingest foods/drinks with tyramine as it can cause
> hypertensive reactions. Also, people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome
> (a catch-all diagnosis for a problem in the bowel, like endo, lupus,
> allergies, etc.), should avoid tyramine, because it causes the
> neurtransmitters in the gut to begin "firing off" signals. This causes
> the gut to get "excited"--spasms, mini seizures, cramping, bloating,
> gas, diarrhea. Caffeine can do the same thing. I have found that the
> biggest offender for me is any soy product-- soy sauce, tofu, lecithin,
> etc. My doctor gave me a list of foods to avoid, and I found this URL on
> tyramine as it relates to MAO Inhibitors, but it's a good list to get a
> basic lesson in tyramine.

Hi Elizabeth,  Thank you so much, this really makes sense.  So tyramine is
the culprit!  I had never even heard of it!  As a matter of fact, I had
never realized that soy sauce bothers me.  Now that I'm thinking about it,
I remember how many times I've eaten oriental food, having in it nothing
that would "bother" me, and I end up with symptoms.
Even eating sushi, which I love, and which has for the most part, and
especially what I eat, NOTHING that 'should' upset my intestine, and after
a short time,   ( I have a short bowel after several resections), the
cramps start.  (I like dipping my sushi in soy sauce with some wasabi in
it)
I will try now and test it, even though I hate to do that since I suffer so
much.  But I would like to know, so I'll try and eat some eggs for example
that would never bother me, and see what happens if I put some soy sauce on
them.  I have to make sure I'll be home the rest of the day!  :-(
I will try the website you mention.
Thank you so much,
Monica