NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Daniel Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 08:55:08 -0800
Russell Blitz wrote:

> Hi all,
> In case anyone is interested, there was a story on the news in the UK
> about the increasing number of cases of diabetes in young children.
> The scientists dont really know whats causing it, but the best
> theory they have is the increasing consumption of cows milk.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> These are the same observations of William Philpott, M.D., Marshall Mandell, M.D., Neal Barnard, M.D., and Frank Oski, M.D. The theory, based
on clinical observations, is that the target organ of stress is the
pancreas. Allergens, it is theorized, affect the pancreas and can
interfere with insulin metabolism.

Philpott demonstrated that blood sugar in diabetics and hypoglycemics can
be radically affected by the ingestion of protein foods that contain very
little carbohydrate. The test sited in Robert Foreman's book, How to
Control Your Allergies, demonstates a diabetic reaction to cream cheese.

The notion that diabetes is purely a malfunction of carbohydrate
metabolism is rejected by those of us who practice clinical ecology. We
think diabetes is more allergy than anything else----and the biggest
culprit is milk and dairy foods.

Personally, I have had two diabetics in the last year who discontinued
the need and use of insulin injections several months after they
eliminated dairy foods. Not a big sample, but enough to convince
diabetics to consider this approach, I think.

DT