NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 20:23:23 -0500
> Web site is: www.best.com/~athene/epdns.html
        I just visited the web site and I didn't find the information I was
really looking for.  Does this type of allergy shot work differently than
others?  Who manufactures this product? How do we find out more?  What is
the FDA investigating that is mentioned in the first few paragraphs?
        I'm under the impression that though allergy shots CAN and DO
alleviate symptoms in many patients that the process isn't much to admire.
I understood, and please correct me if I am wrong, that basically the way
"desensitizing" a person to an allergen works is to inject small quantities
of the allergen into the blood stream and to keep these small quantities in
the body at all times so that a tolerance is developed.  The person isn't
allergy free and is of course still allergic to the products but can
tolerate them better.  Not very natural and perhaps not healthy...after all
some allergies are our bodies way of telling us "NO, this isn't good for
you!"---like dairy.  I believe Dr. J. C. Allen of the South East Dairy Foods
Research Center
(http://www2.ncsu.edu/ncsu/cals/food_science/sdfrc/sdfrc.html) is currently
doing research or has done research that MAY lead to the development of an
allergy shot for dairy allergic folks.  If it becomes available, I for one,
don't think it would be healthy for me to allow someone to inject altered
dairy proteins into my body just so I can dream of eating pizza again.
Doesn't make sense to purposefully take something into the body that my body
is already rejecting.
        Does this EPD shot some how work differently?  Does it work for food
allergies as well?  Dairy included?

Very curious!
Dawn
:) :) :)